Monday, August 9, 2010

My Experience with the Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy by Coppola


About two years ago, I was reading Nicole Richie's blog and came across a post explaining what a Brazilian Blowdry was. Nicole wrote that she had this treatment done at the Andy Lecompte salon in LA and couldn't stop raving about it. She said it made her hair straight, smooth and soft, but didn't damage it at all, instead making it healthier. No more frizz either. As a curly-haired girl myself, I just knew that I had to get my hands on this treatment immediately. Right away, I googled "Brazilian Blowdry" and tried to gather as much info as possible on the treatment. Then came the letdown, I couldn't find a salon in my area that offered it. At the time, this treatment was relatively knew and only available in major markets. So I would have to wait till it hit the masses.


Then, a few months later, my mom mentioned that her hair stylist had gone to a hair seminar in New York to learn a new technique. She was offering this new service called "Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy by Coppola". I called her up and she told me that it was basically the same concept as a Brazilian Blowdry. It made your hair straight for 3 to 5 months, drastically reduced frizz and reversed damage. Sounds like a hair miracle, right? It kinda is.

At the time, my hair was a bit past my shoulders and the hair stylist told me it would be $350. After finding out about the cost, I debated whether I should do it or not. My hair used to take between 60 to 90 minutes to dry depending on the humidity. I was fed up of wasting my time blow drying and flat ironing hair so I decided I would do it.

I had the treatment done in December 2009. The stylist first washed and dried my hair. Then, she applied the product on inch-wide sections of my hair and worked it in. After my entire hair was covered in the treatment, she put a plastic cap over my head and had me sit under a dryer for 20 minutes. Then, the stylist dried my hair again, this time with a brush. Note that the treatment does not get rinsed out. Once all my hair was completely dried straight, she flat ironed my hair with a special extra-hot straightener. She took one-inch sections and passed the iron over them between 7 to 10 times. The whole process lasted a little over 3 hours. I couldn't wash or wet my hair my hair for 3 days. Nor could I tie it, clip it or even tuck it behind my ears. I had to be careful not to get any water on it when washing my face. This part is a little annoying as your hair will have a waxy texture to it and will look really oily by day 3. On the fourth day, I returned to the salon for a haircut, which was included in the price, and to wash out the treatment. This appointment is not necessary as you can always wash it yourself at home. Also included in the price was a bottle of both the Coppola brand shampoo and conditioner. It is absolutely necessary to use the Coppola-brand shampoo and conditioner as any other brand contains harsh ingredients that will reverse the effects provided by the Keratin treatment. Both the shampoo and conditioner cost $30 each. Remember the prices might vary in your area.

Now for the results! It was exactly as I expected. Silky, smooth and straight hair. No more frizz. It now took 15 minutes to dry my hair and without any brushes, just my fingers. I didn't even need to pass the flat iron. And it lasted. I could go outside in humidity and have no problem. I was in love with my hair! Before the Keratin, whenever I stepped out of the house after straightening my hair, it would start frizzing right away. Not anymore. Once it's done, it stays that way!

The results lasted about about 6 months. The good thing about this treatment is that your roots will not grow out curly and frizzy like the Japanese straightening system does. The effects will gradually fade out and your hair will return to its normal state. Washing your hair often will affect how long the treatment lasts. Also, I would say, that after about 3 months, it starts to take a little longer to get it straight but once it's straight, it will stay smooth, frizz free and soft.

It's worth mentioning that you must be careful when dealing with chlorine water (from a pool) or salt water. The chemicals and salt reverse the effects so it's important to follow these steps when going swimming. After your swim, rinse your hair with cold water, apply some conditioner and comb it through. You can leave the conditioner in for a while so it's fine if you wanna lay out in the sun. You don't have to shower and dry it right away.

I loved the results so much I got the treatment done again this past July. A few weeks after getting it done, I went on vacation to Florida, which, as you know, is "Humidity Central". I was able to do something I never did in Florida. Blow dry my hair straight and get it to stay that way. It was unbelievable!

This was my experience with the with the Keratin Complex by Coppola. It was a positive and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone with curly hair who struggles to straighten it and keep it frizz-free. To find a salon offering the service in your area, visit http://www.keratincomplex.com/

What do YOU think about the Keratin Complex by Coppola?

Would YOU consider getting it done?

If you have any questions, please post them in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Okay, I realize this post is old, but I hope you'll still respond!
    I usually get my hair semi relaxed every six-ish months because I have cork screw curls that are stupidly frizzy. (I have the same problem with humidity and I'm planning to go to Florida this summer.) The thing I don't like about getting that done to my hair is that it's so damaging! I get split ends with in weeks and when it grows out, my roots look a hot mess! After reading your post, I'm considering getting the keratin treatment (: the main thing that's holding me back is that I don't want my hair STRAIGHT. I want it looser curls and waves
    SOOOOOO my question for you is: does the treatment make your hair actually STRAIGHT or just less frizzy? also, do you know if there are levels of the treatment?
    Thank you so much (:

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post any questions, comments, concerns or constructive criticism!